Sunday, August 31, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!


Okay, I'm lying.  

It's not my birthday.  But those of you who know me well will remember I adore having "practice birthdays" several times per year.  Practice birthdays are great fun for everyone.  The most obvious perk is that you don't have to get any older when you have a practice birthday. You can even buy yourself lovely gifts and act surprised as all get-out when you open them. Family members also love it when you have a practice birthday because there's no pressure on them whatsoever to get a gift, etc.  Practice birthdays are pure fun for everyone!  


On this particular birthday, I decided to bake myself a huge cake.  I made "Superb Lane Cake" from the Southern Living Cook Book.  It's a four-layer cake with a cream sherry, nut, raisin and cherry filling.  For those of you not familiar with regional United States cooking, traditional Southern cooking was and still is the end-all in extravagance.  So put on your best Scarlett O'Hara and go ahead and ask me how many eggs went into this cake.  Eight. And butter?  Three sticks, darlin'!  And sugar?  Why Fiddly-Dee, a tad more than four cups!  Of course I'm not the least bit concerned about fitting into my corset in the morning.  

Anyhoo, when I presented myself with this gorgeous cake, I was almost moved to tears at my thoughtfulness.  What a lovely thing to do!  Aren't I sweet?  

10 comments:

Robert A Vollrath said...

What fun and that cake was a feast for the eyes. May you have many Happy Birthdays real or imagined in your future.

Annapurna said...

LOL! Happy Practice Birthday To You!!!
I should try this, except for the cake part. I am a bad cook when it comes to following directions and making something.

Toxiferous said...

That cake is incredibly HUGE!! Happy Practice Birthday! May you have many more and many more great and delicious cakes!

Lottery Girl said...

Thanks Robert!

Lottery Girl said...

Anna,

So do you cook without recipes? My grandparents all cooked that way and were quite good cooks!

Lottery Girl said...

Thanks Toxiferous! Yes, the cake was so large it was difficult getting it on an upper shelf in the fridge!

I thought I wouldn't make it again because it was so much work,but then when I tasted it, I changed my mind.

If anyone wants the recipe, let me know!

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

What a gorgeous looking cake and such a wonderful idea - trouble is Id have practice birthdays every week and get fat!! Im stopping my fingers from typing the words to ask for the recipe .. ooh its one of my grand daughter's birthday on the 10th - do you think I could make it for that and just have one little slice!! so please send!!?? The cake ready made I mean?? Cook might be in my name but cant say Im brilliant at the verb.

Lottery Girl said...

Dear Joan,

Thanks for stopping by!

Yes, I know what you mean about having too many of these celebrations. I REALLY have to pace myself--only one slice of cake per day, served at lunch. the nice thing about this cake is that it stays fresh for so long because the filling seems to keep the cake moist.

BTW, I'm always happy to give out recipes. Your idea of a ready-made slice sounds divine!

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Yesterday I took some time looking up quality and price details of the lovely soft pastels I use, ie YUMMY CHUNKY THICK UNISONS (only half the length of norm but wonderful to hold) and more convention shape ASHBY. I put all this info on my post where you had made the pastel enquiry and today I see its not there!! boo hoo hoo. Did you ever read it before it disappeared???? Let me know and I'll start again. I do remember that I said I dont go for the cheaper squared off pastels as they are hard and have a completely different feel when working. .. in my opinion only suitable for thin line drawing style not blocking in.

A Novel Woman said...

HAHAHAHAHAAAA!! You crack me up.

Actually I was going to bake a chocolate cake for myself last week, but I talked myself out of it. What is wrong with me? I never thought of having a practice birthday. (smacking forehead) Mind you, if I looked as good as you do, I'd have cake more often too. I discovered my problem is not that I'm overweight, but undertall.